CIESIN is seeking highly motivated, detail-oriented interns to support tasks related to GIS data exploration, analysis, and documentation for the Geo-Referenced Infrastructure and Demographic Data for Development (GRID³) project.
The Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN) is a center within the Earth Institute at Columbia University. CIESIN works at the intersection of the social, natural, and information sciences, and specializes in on-line data and information management, spatial data integration and training, and interdisciplinary research related to human interactions in the environment.
GRID³ provides support to low- and middle-income countries to collect, analyze, integrate, disseminate and utilize high-resolution geo-referenced data on population, boundaries, settlements and infrastructure along with other key spatial datasets for evidence-based development and humanitarian decision making.
- Support data analysis and quality assessments of geospatial data related to population, settlements, infrastructure, and boundaries
- Assist with the creation, editing and/or curation of maps and/or data visualizations
- Assist with the documentation of data and information sources through the project’s data library and data catalog
- Assist with the production of summary statistics using GIS data
Support other research tasks, as needed
- Working knowledge of GIS software (e.g. QGIS, ArcGIS)
- Previous experience conducting GIS data analysis, and/or map production
- Interest in learning innovative ways of integrating open access data sources into practical use cases (e.g. policy planning, service delivery, health systems monitoring, disaster risk management, etc.)
- Previous experience using open access data sources (e.g. OSM, HDX, AidData, etc.) is considered an asset
CIESIN is located on the Lamont campus of Columbia University in Palisades, New York. The campus is 10 miles north of the George Washington Bridge. Columbia shuttles run between both Morningside and Lamont campus, on an hourly basis.
Apply by sending your CV and cover letter to Jennifer A. Mulvey (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than September 24th, 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.